Thursday, February 13, 2014

Part Fourteen: Internal conflict

Part fourteen

For a few moments the Princess and Donovan just looked at each other in silence. Something great had bonded them over this last few days, but the Princess did not feel easy about it, she never felt that she needed  to be ‘saved’ from her situation.  

“You should go Donovan,” the Princess said softly her eyes falling to her lap where she fidgeted with her dress and avoided looking at him.

“What is it that you are so afraid of Princess?” Donovan asked.

“I’m NOT afraid of anything!” the Princess said defiantly, “I don’t need you to try and fix me Donovan, I don’t need to be saved, I can do this on my own.”

“I never said that you couldn’t Princess,” Donovan replied softly, “You defiantly can, but what’s the harm of taking a helping hand every once in a while.”

“People always let you down, I just can’t take that risk.”

“This is where you err Princess, if I dare say so. And yes, you are right, only you can save yourself. Because as much as I am here for you, as much as I want to help you, in the end it is only you who can open up your heart to new possibilities. It is only you who can take those risks as you say, and it’s only you that can allow true love into your heart. I cannot do those things for you. Only you can find the strength that lies inside of you,” Donovan got up to leave, leaving the Princess speechless.

Princess Desmorelda walked towards her great big mirror and pulled it out, she stared at her reflection for a while, who was this woman staring back at her, when had she become so bitter and resilient, with all that had passed in her life she always tried to maintain a positive spirit but suddenly, suddenly she felt like everything scared her. The possibility of letting all this change into her life, scared her so much. What had happened was Princess Desmorelda became comfortable, she became relaxed, until Donovan came and turned her world upside down, digging up the past, asking her questions she never dared to look at and making her realise things about herself she never saw before. And it was all rather scary.

“PPPrrrrriiinncceeesss,” Serpentina hissed from the mirror, “Whhaat do yoouuu thiiinnkk yyoou doing?”

“Don’t you start with me,” the Princess threw back tiredly, “Why can’t everyone leave me be.”

“Beecause you have a resssponsibilty, to me, to our parrrents, to yourrrselff, and oonly you caaan change thiisss.”

“That is easier said than done, dear sister,” replied the Princess.


“Nobody ever sssaid that the right thing and the easy thing werrre the sssame thing.” 


The Princess turned away from the mirror and went down to the library. 
She looked at her bookshelf, searching for something to guide her, a 
source of inspiration, the gold book caught her eye once again. She pulled 
it off the shelf and started skimming through it, reading over sonnets and poems until something caught her eye… 

No comments:

Post a Comment